Tuesday, May 12, 2009

God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically. -Albert Einstein

As you may have realized from the title of my Blog, math is not an area I consider a personal strength. I don't really mind since I am a right-brained person and I would rather be creative any day. In fact if you are creative enough you can figure out how to avoid math almost completely in life. Unfortunately, sometimes in the middle of the night, you can wake up with some startling realizations.
Let me give you a little mathematical background. When I decided to start running I was researching a program online called "From the couch 2 5K". This program seemed reasonable enough so when I saw the program for the marathon and the distance was 25K, and the program I had been reading about was manageable I signed up! Imagine my surprise when I found out the program I had been reading about was really called "From the couch too 5K" and I was now going to run over 26 miles!!!!! Okay a bit of a math error.
So now I am happily training and I start thinking about running the 5K in the LA Marathon in a couple of weeks. My wonderful husband says it is only 3 miles. 3 miles should be easy, I run at least that a couple of days a week and more than that on the weekend. So I sign right up. Then I wake with a start last night and do some basic 1st grade math, if 25k is less than 26 miles, than how can a 5K be less than 3 miles? I think maybe the 5K must be more than 3 miles. But wait!!!!! I don't think I want to know how far it is, I may not be Albert Einstein but on this equation I choose to leave it unsolved!

No comments:

Post a Comment