Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Marathon with no end!

It is already July, where do the weeks go? They wrap themselves around the days; first the hours and then the minutes disappear. My physical body continues to age and yet my mind seems to be growing younger with new discovery, knowledge and enlightenment. I guess that is the purpose of children, they serve as visual reminders that our time to explore and learn is only a precious and fleeting glance. Watching the development of a child you see just how brief the duration of time is to a physical body. It works in reverse as well; watching a person succumb to the ravages of Alzheimer's disease you are watching a lifetime of gained knowledge and experiences shatter into fragments the brain can no longer match. What was once a treasure eventually just disappears.
So, to try and capture any one particular point in one's life and say "this is my "now", my moment, I am ready" would really be a futile exercise in ignorance. I don't think I will ever have learned or experienced all I want to know in this life.
Will I ever walk away from Van Gogh's painting the "Mulberry Tree" and say "That is it, that was his last brush stroke, now I understand what he was trying to say"? I hope not, nor do I think I will I ever say I understand God or my purpose on this planet.
What I can say, and what I do know is this; I know beauty when I feel it, I know I am here to be of service to my fellow human beings and I am here to be source of love and not hate. These sound like simple concepts when in reality I seem to spend quite a bit of time grappling with them.
I can sum it up like this, I have figured out that I am merely in my infancy of knowledge, entering kindergarten if you will. I am packing up my backpack and setting off to school. I am anxiously looking forward to the friends I will meet, the teachers whom will inspire me, the struggles, the tests, victories, field trips and yes, even the difficulties and obstacles.
As I have proceeded along this Marathon journey I have figured out the trip may be longer than I originally anticipated. Perhaps it is good that my math skills are so weak, that way I won't realize how far I still have left to go. I may not know where the finish line is but one thing I do know know; the journey is sure to be fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment